Skip to main content

Detours


We've likely encountered a few detour signs along our way. We've been headed down the road and then realize the route we've chosen to follow to the intended destination is no longer an option.

I'm curious -- what's your normal response to detours?

I'd guess somewhere between annoyed by the inconvenience to enthusiastic about the potential for discovery.

In my case... I'm a girl who might be called the queen of spontaneous contingency plans. I've been known to go around the detour sign traveling a bit farther done the road to see if in deed the route is impassible - believing that I can surely find a route that is more expedient or at least adventurous. You know the kind -- I'm the one you see making my way around the detour sign in hopes of using my instincts and gut to find my way. You see in my mind I know where I want to go and I think I know the best way to get there.

Not only does this way of thinking hold true related to my road trips, I must admit I tend to carry this thinking over to my life and faith. My first instinct is to embrace the possibility of a new discovery or grand adventure -- at least for a few miles. The problem arises when the detour is taking longer than I expected and I'm not sure we are making in progress.

These past several months have been filled with what I would call "detours", unexpected twists and turns. I've found myself in the midst of watching and waiting alongside some of the people I love the most. It seemed we were headed down one road then some unexpected detour sign popped up that has taken us through diagnoses, pathology reports, loss, anxiety, depression, uncertainty and incredible difficulties.

Everything in me wants to find a short cut or secret passage that takes the pain and difficulty away. Everything in me wants to either fix it or at least carry some of the weight.

I know I can't fix it. I know that my ability to ease the pain and carry their weight is limited at best. So, I'm asking God to do all the things he does best. To be with the ones I love, to soothe their fears, to give them courage and endurance, to pour out His peace, and to provide healing.

In the midst of these detours -- here's what I can do. I can walk alongside the ones I love. I can look for God along the road. I can laugh and cry -- sometimes at the very same time. And I can trust that God is with us "in the detour" -- doing all the things he does best.

And I can continue on believing in WHO God created each of these women to be - they are strong and courageous -- and they are tenderhearted toward God, eager to hear and respond to God as he whispers in their ear.

If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Ecclesiastes 4:10

Comments

  1. Very touching, Corinne. I know this really comes from your heart. The road you're on is tough. Please know there are lots of friends who love you and are praying for your situation,strength, direction and joy.

    Like the new look of the blog. :)

    Love you. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. just reading today from Paula Rinehart's book Strong Women, Soft Hearts (she is coming to our retreat in March -- :) )

    She says this... the third option to living is to face life in a truly undefended and open-way... where the real stuff is happening and we know we aren't the ones in control. Where trusting God is indeed the only agenda that makes any sense at all. It is a posture of "gracious uncertainty," meaning that we have given up the illusion of being certain of anything but God. In this place of gracious uncertainty, we wait. For the broken pieces to be brought back together. For the meaning of our suffering to be revealed in his. For the righteous reign of the a mighty God, whose goodness we will spend all eternity celebrating. We wait-- with open, expectant hearts.

    Romans 8:24-25 MSG says this...

    Waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, dont' see what is enlargining us. But the longer we wait... the more joyful our expectancy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shaking the System

Here at Grace Community Church we just finished a four week series entitled Shaking the System. If you missed any of these -- you can listen online at www.gracecc.org/sermons.html How did this weekend series stir you? What questions or concerns did it raise in your heart and mind? This past week Dave Rod gave us some ideas for personal engagement -- have you or are you planning to take any steps to personally get engaged in social justice issues?

Praying as We Breathe In & Out

By offering a simple prayer with every breath, we can be reminded "for in him we live and move and exist" (Acts 17:28). Although rather simple, this practice requires a connection between the unconscious act of breathing and a conscious expression to God. A Bit of History The church has practiced breath prayer or "prayer of the heart" for millennia . The Eastern Orthodox Church, in particular, has seen breath prayer as a way of living out Paul's instruction to "pray without ceasing."         Examples Jesus Prayer Take a moment to become aware of your breathing. It might help to find a quiet place -- close your eyes and notice your breathing. As you breath in -- bring your thoughts to Jesus. As you breath out -- express a word of gratitude or need. For example, breath in -- saying "Lord, Jesus Christ" -- breath out saying "have mercy on me." Throughout your day -- as you notice your breathing -- take note an

The Shack and Room of Marvels

I love to read. I enjoy hearing what others are thinking and processing. I go through spurts of reading fiction and honestly I don't read very much christian fiction. BUT, a few years ago I read a book called Room of Marvels and just recently picked up a copy of the book, The Shack . Both books are fiction. Both books press in on really hard subjects of pain and loss. Both books profoundly impacted my view of God, our world, and eternity. Any readers out there? Have you read either of these books? Would love to hear your thoughts?