Skip to main content

Severe Drought



Unrelenting drought conditions and searing temperatures prompted federal officials Thursday to declare more than half of Indiana and nearly a third of the nation a natural disaster area for ranchers and farmers, who have watched their crops wilt with each dry day.  Indianapolis Star
 


Let me start with the fact that although I live in Indiana, I am not a farmer.  I simply care for an assortment of perennials surrounding my patio while adding a few pots of annuals for a splash of color. And this year, that's been quite difficult. 

I can't imagine the impossible task of trying to sustain acres and acres of crops when I am struggling to keep these small patches alive.  I miss the green grass and the variations of color and depth as my patio flower garden transforms itself throughout each season.  To be honest, I've pretty much given up on the perennials for this year... but I keep at the daily practice of watering my pots daily.  I'm still hoping for some days where the sky opens up and offer some much needed long summer showers.

I think if you were to peel back the layers of my soul you find a similar landscape.  I must say I feel a bit dry and if you get close you might notice the edges are a bit brittle.



The landscape of life continues to shift.

We celebrated 25 years of marriage this year. (that's a quarter of a century if you're counting)
Our first son is a college graduate and has moved to Boston (at least temporarily).
Our girl begins her 2nd year at Purdue University and will move in a few weeks.
And our youngest started Driver's Ed and begins high school.
A couple of dear friend's bodies are broken in need of healing.
A parent continues to battle a degenerative disease that has taken it's toll over the past several years.

Some shifts bring excitement and anticipation.
Some shifts bring sadness and grief.
Some bring both.

In the midst of the changes and hard stuff of this life- I choose trust.  And I find relief when I lean into God's arms and relying on Him to replenish my soul. Or at least I try.


7"But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. 8They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit.   Jeremiah 17:5-8

praying for rain.


Comments

  1. Amen Sister-Friend. I too choose trust because the alternative is a drought too vast to contemplate. I choose to believe God has his hand in my life (and yours!) and has plans. I choose to believe God looks at me far more tenderly than I view myself. And I choose to believe he sees the garden when I only see dry ground. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to know the "rain-giver" when you are in the midst of drought: To know that He sees beyond the drought and knows and loves with an unfailing love those of us who are parched and longing for refreshing rain. And when we know that He is completely trustworthy, we can feel the rain even in the midst of the drought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shaking the System

Here at Grace Community Church we just finished a four week series entitled Shaking the System. If you missed any of these -- you can listen online at www.gracecc.org/sermons.html How did this weekend series stir you? What questions or concerns did it raise in your heart and mind? This past week Dave Rod gave us some ideas for personal engagement -- have you or are you planning to take any steps to personally get engaged in social justice issues?

The Shack and Room of Marvels

I love to read. I enjoy hearing what others are thinking and processing. I go through spurts of reading fiction and honestly I don't read very much christian fiction. BUT, a few years ago I read a book called Room of Marvels and just recently picked up a copy of the book, The Shack . Both books are fiction. Both books press in on really hard subjects of pain and loss. Both books profoundly impacted my view of God, our world, and eternity. Any readers out there? Have you read either of these books? Would love to hear your thoughts?

Praying as We Breathe In & Out

By offering a simple prayer with every breath, we can be reminded "for in him we live and move and exist" (Acts 17:28). Although rather simple, this practice requires a connection between the unconscious act of breathing and a conscious expression to God. A Bit of History The church has practiced breath prayer or "prayer of the heart" for millennia . The Eastern Orthodox Church, in particular, has seen breath prayer as a way of living out Paul's instruction to "pray without ceasing."         Examples Jesus Prayer Take a moment to become aware of your breathing. It might help to find a quiet place -- close your eyes and notice your breathing. As you breath in -- bring your thoughts to Jesus. As you breath out -- express a word of gratitude or need. For example, breath in -- saying "Lord, Jesus Christ" -- breath out saying "have mercy on me." Throughout your day -- as you notice your breathing -- take note an